Rhode Island Pharmacy/Pharmacist Negligence
In Rhode Island when someone you love has been injured due to a pharmacy error, you have so many questions swimming through your head: What can I do? Are they going to get better?
And then there’s the one that leads you here: How did this happen?
Unfortunately, pharmacy errors occur here in Rhode Island. While many of these are caught before they do serious harm, there have been cases that result in overdose, liver toxicity, birth injuries, or even early death.
The people who work in Rhode Island Pharmacies have less training than doctors. Although their position requires less skill, they still must pay attention to every detail. Failure to provide that attention can lead to serious medical problems.
A few examples of PHARMACY / PHARMACIST NEGLIGENCE are
- Failure to warn of possible adverse reactions
- Providing incorrect instructions with medication
- Providing the wrong dosage
- Providing the wrong medication
- Covering up warning labels with medication instructions
- Filling multiple prescriptions from multiple doctors without advising the patient of drug interaction issues
Rhode Islander’s who have been injured by a pharmacist’s negligence can seek compensation against the pharmacy by filing a personal injury claim. Cases of Rhode Island Medication Errors are similar to other personal injury cases in that the victim may be compensated in two ways-for financial costs and for suffering.
Here are some ways a victim may be awarded damages for a pharmacy error injury:
– Any medical costs incurred because of your injury, including hospitalization, rehabilitation, surgery, assistance devices (such as a cane, wheelchair, or oxygen tank), or recuperative care.
– Lost wages. Many people are forced to miss weeks of work while they recover from a medication mistake, resulting in high bills, missed payments, and late fees.
– Damages for physical pain and impairment. If a medication error resulted in permanent or painful side effects, such as loss of a limb, ability to speak, or disfigurement, you may be awarded a higher settlement for your suffering.
– Mental anguish. If a jury finds that you suffered emotional trauma as well as physical effects, there are separate damages you may be eligible for.
– Wrongful death. If you are seeking justice on behalf of a departed loved one, there are special rules in place to hold the negligent party responsible to ensure the mistake does not happen again.
If you have been a victim of a Rhode Island Medication Error or Rhode Island Pharmaceutical Error, please contact the experienced and dedicated lawyers of Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd. Out attorneys have many years of experience handling these types of cases and we can help you.
Call now for your free consultation.