Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers in women. Early diagnosis is critical because the cure rate for breast cancer is related to the stage of the breast cancer at diagnosis.
Timely diagnostic tests, consultations and referrals can lead to early diagnosis.
Failure or delay in ordering appropriate tests, consults and referrals, when indicated, can lead to a delay in diagnosis.
Some of the causes of missed or delayed diagnosis of breast cancer include:
- Inadequate assessment by the treating physician;
- Complaints about the breast that are ignored;
- Nipple discharge is not adequately evaluated;
- Failure to obtain necessary consultation;
- Abnormalities of the breast are not followed up with proper studies;
- Failure to perform timely excisional biopsies when indicated;
- Failure to properly interpret mammographic irregularities;
- Failure to properly interpret a fine-needle aspiration or biopsy;
- The failure to have a system in place to ensure test results are received and timely communicated to patients.
If you believe that you or a family member has suffered as a result of a delayed diagnosis of breast cancer, the attorneys at Mandell, Boisclair & Mandell, Ltd have the knowledge, skill and experience to evaluate your potential claim.